danielcshirley

Inside of a Dog...

...it's too dark to read.

The Satanic Verses
Salman Rushdie
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #5)

The Last Olympian  - Rick Riordan It was a decent book, but there were some rough spots in the writing. For example, several times Percy says that a character does something "for some reason" - and it's clear Riordan is aware that he hasn't developed sufficient motivation for the character.Also, Percy regularly has dreams in which he sees what other characters in the book are doing at that moment. It's a device that allows Riordan to get around limits in the 1st person narrative, but it felt contrived to me. At other times, Percy intuits complex motivations and off-scene actions of other characters when he doesn't have sufficient information - there is no reasonable way he would be able to understand or guess what happened or why.Overall, it was well-plotted and engaging, and given what Riordan was trying to do, it may have been a more compelling story written in 3rd person. As it was, there were just too many instances when the Author's Hand was painfully obvious, and I could not maintain my willing suspension of disbelief.